Image Map

Saturday, January 12, 2013

Snow Globes & Hot Chocolate

Happy weekend!  I felt that Monday through Wednesday flew by, but Thursday and Friday just dragged on for me!

On Monday I stayed late to hang up pictures of our melting snowmen. I guess I was in a rush and ended up stapling my finger instead of the paper!!  Ouch!  The staple went all the way into my finger!! I ran into another teacher's room (ironically her last name is Staples) and she helped me get it out. I was scared to use the stapler for half of Tuesday, but eventually I got over it! I'm extremely careful now! Please tell me I'm not the only one who has stapled her finger!

This week my class really focused on descriptive writing.  We wrote about what it would be like to live in a snow globe. I think one of my favorites was when one student described how he would bust of the snow globe! Another student wrote from the perspective of his mom. His mom saw him trapped in the snow globe and gave it a little shake to make all of the glitter fall all over him.

After the students finished writing, they had to create a picture of what they were doing in the snow globe.  Then they added snowflakes with some with paint and q-tips.  Here are a few of the finished products!



Check out Amanda's snow globes at Teaching Maddness.  I love the way she had her students make their snow globes.  Why do you always find the cutest ideas after you've just done something similar??

We also wrote how to make hot chocolate using A Cupcake for the Teacher's unit. We made hot chocolate in class to help the students figure out the directions. We also graphed what our favorite topping were for hot chocolate.



I'm linking up with Teaching Maddness: Flashback Friday. Check out what everyone else did this week too!


2 comments:

  1. OUCH!!! Hope your finger is all better! I've never done that, but it has always been a fear of mine! {Having said that, I'll probably do it this week!} Love your snow globes and we're doing a little similes activity with cocoa THIS week. Great minds, I tell ya! ;)

    Thanks for linking up to share!
    Amanda
    Teaching Maddeness

    ReplyDelete
  2. We definitely made our snow globes Friday too! It's one of my favorite activities. Did you read the book "The Snowglobe Family"?? It goes along PERFECT with the activity!!

    Lindsay
    For the Love of First Grade

    ReplyDelete