Image Map

Friday, February 13, 2015

Five for Friday: 2/13/15


I haven't linked up with anything in a long time and I thought this was the perfect week to get back into the swing of things! 



My favorite holiday to celebrate at school is Valentine's Day.  There's not an official party.  We just pass out our Valentine's and eat a special snack.  




All the girls flocked to this little boy's Valentine box.  The shiny, fake diamond lured them in! Haha.  It starts young!

The added benefit is sometimes you end up with really neat gifts!







Backing up to earlier in the week, we studied ending digraphs.  


This year, my students love the "I Have, Who Has?" game. I had to whip up one for middle/ending digraphs.






Go to my TPT store to download it for free!




Do you have a subscription to Brainpop, Jr?  They have the best videos to introduce a topic!  They are short and engaging.


We watched two videos for George Washington Carver and Harriet Tubman before making our crafts.




I let the students complete their Venn Diagrams on their own.  I read through them to make sure they understood the concept.





Um, he compared Harriet's head injury to his busted lip. Way to make Social Studies more entertaining!



It's that time of year when the students are comfortable and love to talk to their friends about anything and everything.  Rainbows, unicorns, marshmallows....anything except work related tasks.

It was getting a little out of hand, so I had to use one of my favorite tricks in the book.

The Blurt Chart.



Each student gets 3 blurts a day.  If they lose all of their blurts, they get a number written in their binder (which correspond to "I was talking too much.")

Student 2 has permanently lost her blurts because she moved.  I didn't want a chart that said 1, 3, 4, etc. 

If they keep all of their blurts, they earn a Star Dollar (part of my class reward).  They will do anything for a Star Dollar!

Well, most of them....Here's how my chart looked after Monday.  This wasn't the best day, but we had much better days the rest of the week.



It's a great visual reminder.  Once they lose all of their blurts, they have to move their clip down on the clip chart.  It also helps me track how many time they talk during the day.

{This is not my original idea.  I found it on Pinterest way back when in 2011.}




I've started posting a little more on Instagram and I'm looking to follow new people!  Leave me your Instagram name!

Click the Instagram photo above to follow me on Instagram or look me up via polkadotfirsties.

Be sure to checkout Doodlebug's linky party for more great ideas!





No comments:

Post a Comment