Image Map

Monday, April 8, 2013

Spring Break: Mentor Text Edition & More

My first day of spring break had a few bumps in the road.  I went to take my dog to get her shots and didn't realize I needed an appointment. Then I headed up to the Mall of Georgia and got there at about 9am...too bad the mall doesn't open until 10am.


At least Target was open! I was also supposed to meet a friend in the afternoon, but she ended up cancelling on me. Instead I got a mani and a pedi, took a nap, started putting my winter clothes away, walked the dog and made burrito bowls for dinner. (You have to try this recipe!) 

Luckily yesterday was a little more relaxing. I can't even remember what I did.  I took a walk with my husband....and I think that's about all.

Today I'm linking up with Collaboration Cuties' Mentor Text Linky.




I discovered The War Between the Consonants and Vowels my first year teaching. I distinctly remember asking my students the first week of school to name all the vowels.

There was a blank stare, people.

And then one student said "What's a vowel?"

Now I know you kindergarten teachers taught them about vowels and consonants. It's just that summer took it out of their brains.

Therefore every year, I read this book the first week of school.  Perhaps even the first day of school.

You see, in this book, the vowels and consonants don't get along.  They strongly dislike each other (you know I can't use the h word).


A war breaks outs.

Don't worry it's not violent. The capital T's turn into airplanes.

All of the sudden a squiggle comes to town. 


Eventually the vowels and consonants work together. They form words and scare that darn squiggle out of town.



Because squiggles are Scary (with a capital S).

Since I have a lot of time on my hands, I decided to link up with Flying into First Grade's Let's Get Acquainted Linky Party. 


This week's question is "What 3 things would you take with you if you were stranded on an island?"

1. Sunscreen.  I'm a redhead and I burn fairly easily. Except if I use that spray on sunscreen.  I started using that stuff about 2 summers ago and I haven't gotten burned since. A-mazing!

Side note - I bought a Groupon for a spray tan.  Any advice? I've never done one before and my legs are 12 shades of pasty. 

2. Bathing suit.  Would it stink to get stuck on an island with no bathing suit??

3. Kindle.  Because you know my stranded island would have an outlet and access to Amazon. Honestly I love to read so much! On the note of stranded islands, you should read On the Island by Tracey Garvis-Graves


Ok, if you've managed to read through the entire post, I hope you come back tomorrow!  I'm finishing up a new unit and there *might* be a freebie.







5 comments:

  1. Awww, what a cute book!! I have never ever heard of it! What a fun way to review vowels and consonants!! Thank you for sharing that!

    I'm thinking sunscreen and a bathing suit are pretty important too! Good idea! I've never had a spray tan, so I am the wrong person to ask!! :O)

    Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never heard of that book before but I know my firsties would love it! I found your blog through the get acquainted linky and I am happy to be your newest follower!

    Kristi
    Fun in First Grade!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,

    I found you through the linky party and your newest follower. I have a book club and we have looked at this book before but decided to read something else. Is it really good?

    Angela

    The Bilingual Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Liz,
    I think I've heard of this book before, but never actually looked into it. Your description definitely makes me want to add it to my list of books for the beginning of the school year--it would certainly help my little friends begin to understand the difference between a vowel and a consonant! Oh and thanks so much for sharing that burrito bowl recipe- I will so be trying that soon- I LOVE the burrito bowls at Chipotle and this one seems easy enough to make at home!
    Aylin
    Learning to the Core

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh! I want to hear about the spray tan. I am either glow-in-the-dark white or lobster red. I have thought about trying this but too worried about turning orange!

    Misty
    Think, Wonder, & Teach

    ReplyDelete