Image Map

Saturday, April 6, 2013

5 for Friday: April 5th Edition

I'm especially excited for this week's Five for Friday! 

I had my post already to go yesterday, but once I got home I was tired. Like couldn't keep my eyes open and went to bed at 8pm tired.

Which is why I'm just now posting.

But it's SPRING BREAK!  Finally!

So I'm going to share what's been happening this week and then go lay on the couch for a week.

1. Introducing Connie Conjunction! She loves to join two sentences together using or, but, because, and so.


I just realized I misspelled conjunction. Eek! I'll be fixing that ASAP!

Wait. Did I just say but?

No, not that kind of but.

I'll let you get your giggles out.

Oh wait, my firsties giggled all week long every time "but" was said.

Thank goodness I have more girls than boys this year.  Last year's class would have had a field day.

Each student drew their own Connie Conjunction, labeled the poster, and wrote a sentence using a conjunction.



I found blank glue bottles in a packet on TPT (freebie alert).

Each student wrote a sentence using a conjunction and wrote the conjunction on the glue bottle.



2. It's first grade's month for the bulletin board out in the hallway.  We went with an Earth Day theme.



Each student wrote about a way they would help the Earth.



3. We wrapped up our weather unit.  Students chose a type of storm to research and write about. This one did an excellent job writing, but her picture was a tornado.  Oops!  We are still working on graphic features!



Let's compare anchor charts for a moment.

Here's the beautiful one about the different weather instruments.



I keep telling my parapro that she need to make her own font and sell it on TPT!

And here's mine that I made for our new plant unit.


Inspired from First Grade Parade

I made it during lunch while eating. :)

4. April family projects were due this week.  I don't usually have a family project due in May since it's such a crazy month.




You can tell the parents and students are ready for school to end. The beginning of the year the projects are elaborate and this time almost everyone just colored their flower.

5. I forgot to share these beautiful crosses we made for Easter!



I gave each student a card stock cross, messy glue, and tissue paper.  They folded the tissue paper over the end of the pencil (eraser end), held onto the tissue paper and dipped in glue.

Look the end result!



Now for a week I won't think about teaching or find any super cute ideas that I want to use, right?? Because it's Spring Break! Happy Saturday!

6 comments:

  1. Wow! you were busy this week. i am glad you have a week off to recharge. Your anchor chart looks great! :)
    ❀Beth Ann❀
    Taming My Flock of Firsties
    tamingmyflockoffirsties@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it funny how they cling to the word "but", even at the upper grades? Enjoy your break! I'm just drawing mine to a close and don't want to go back yet. At least it means the year is almost over!

    Don't Let the Teacher Stay Up Late

    ReplyDelete
  3. You got a lot done the week before spring break! Impressive!! Thanks for the freebie alert!!
    :)Kim

    ReplyDelete
  4. We love your Connie Conjunction! She will go well with our other grammar kids (Nick Noun, Vicki Verb, Annie Adjective). Thanks for sharing!

    :) Tamra and Sarah
    First Grade Buddies

    ReplyDelete
  5. Connie Conjunction! She's exactly what my firsties need :)

    Sara
    Primary Buzz

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Liz,
    I love Connie Conjunction!! I will be introducing conjunctions to my firsties next week!! Enjoy your spring break!!
    Crystal
    Ms. Jones’ Junction

    ReplyDelete