Image Map

Sunday, August 19, 2012

Survived Week One!

Whew!  The first week of school flew by and it's time for week two.  I enjoyed getting to know my sweet class this past week and I can already tell it's going to be an AMAZING year!  Especially when I looked up one day and one of my students was doing the "sprinkler" dance after finishing the assignment.  Does it really get any better than that?

I always forget how little the firsties are at the beginning of the year!  They don't have many independent skills.  I love it when I tell them they can open their own snack with their scissors - it's seriously la lightbulb moment.  Ha!  During math this week, I had drawn a number line on a shower curtain and was having the students hop across to practice counting forwards and backwards.  I made them take off their shoes, which of course, they couldn't believe I let them do that.  And then 3 of them couldn't put their shoes back on. Ha! As we say in the South, bless their hearts!

Over the summer I had made a phonics review game.  I had planned to do it on Thursday, but I worried the students wouldn't understand how to play.  But I was worried for nothing!  They understood how to play and enjoyed getting out of their seats.

The game is called Beginning Sounds SCOOT.  SCOOT is a game you can play with any skill you'd like.  Each student has a card and a recording sheet.  They write down the answer on the recording sheet and then "scoot" to the next seat.  I'm trying to upload to TPT as a freebie, but it's not working.  Hopefully it'll be up soon!

Edited: I finally got the game upload.  You can pick it up here.

No comments:

Post a Comment